Friday, January 23, 2009

The day I nearly got exploded


Strangely enough, for someone who really CANNOT COOK AT ALL, I seem to have this knack (read: passion) for cooking and eating pizzas. It all came about a few years ago when my parents built an outdoor entertainment area at their place and decided to add a woodfired pizza oven. This was a brilliant move for quite a few reasons:

- It gave me an excuse to burn things
- Woodfired pizza without some smug fuck dumping lettuce, artichokes and sundried tomatoes on your pizza.

Excuse me waiter, what the fuck is this?



"Excuse me waiter, what the fuck is this?"




While I’m at it, I would like to point out that I have absolutely nothing to do with the slice of SHIT pictured at the top of this post. I took that photo at Cooney’s one night. I can tell why their pizza is free.

Anyway I digress. The pizza oven was built with a gas system included (I really don’t know why, it’s a WOODFIRED OVEN) and this was pretty fun for a while when I learned that I could yank on a lever and have an Xbox-huge jet of burning death engulf the inside of the oven. I did this for a few months until one day when I was peering inside watching the flame, and the flame sucked back in on itself.

Now, I don’t trust gas systems in the slightest. I’d never seen the flame retreat in on itself. The very next thing I remember is a loud BANG and getting knocked on my ass a few metres back from where I was standing. Seems that there was a small leak in one of the connections and it allowed gas to collect underneath the oven. Eventually it got a spark and the whole pocket of gas exploded. It blew the front of the cupboard in half and the explosion took off a lot of hair from my legs. The oven itself was unharmed (Resilient things those woodfired ovens). I was fairly lucky that I had instinctively leaned away when the flame disappeared because I was usually poking my head pretty close to the oven. Apart from a few slight burns, the stench of burnt hair and a few grazes from where I slid across the concrete, I was okay.

We don’t use the gas system anymore.

1 comment:

  1. Flame arrestors, baby. They won't help you when you get a gas buildup, but they'll stop flashback through your pipes when you get an O2 leak somewhere back up the line.

    ReplyDelete